What Is Naturopathic Medicine and How Can It Help You?
Naturopathic medicine is a dynamic form of healthcare that focuses on optimal health and empowerment. It is a form of functional medicine in that it approaches health care in the view that each individual has a unique lifestyle, biological background, and environmental exposures. This perspective of health allows naturopathic doctors to eliminate symptoms by addressing the underlying cause of the problem by analyzing how the body functions as whole and how each organ system is affected or influenced within the whole system. Naturopathic doctors focus on the restoration of health using their extensive knowledge of medical sciences and traditional healing practices. Health operates on a spectrum, and it is our job to help you optimize your health and feel your best.
Naturopathic doctors undergo rigourous training to be able to diagnose and treat complex health conditions safely and effectively (for more information on training, licensing, and registration, please see the FAQ page).
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine:
1. First Do No Harm: Use highly effective and low invasive therapies to minimize risk of harm.
2. The Healing Power of Nature: Support the self-healing ability of the individual.
3. Treat the Cause of Disease
4. Doctor as Teacher: Educate, empower, and support patients through their healing journey.
5. Treat the Whole Person Through Individualized Care
6. Prevention: Encourage a healthy lifestyle and reduce chronic disease risk factors.
How do we do we heal using naturopathic medicine?
1. Create the environment for ideal health
Remove disruptors: toxins, poor diet, environmental factors
Institute a healthier regimen: routine, diet, exercise, stress relief
Ensure elimination routes are working properly (liver, kidneys, colon)
Correct deficiencies with diet and nutritional supplementation
2. Stimulate vitality within the body so that it can heal itself
Hydrotherapy, acupuncture, nutritional supplements
3. Tonify damaged/weakened organs
Herbal remedies, acupuncture, homeopathy, nutritional supplements
4. Correct structural integrity
Acupuncture, massage, spinal manipulations
5. Address pathology
Supplements or referral to a medical doctor for pharmaceutical medications
Dr. Holly understands your health by taking a detailed history and getting to know your life story, as well as through physical exam, bloodwork and other laboratory testing. She uses a variety of treatments in her practice, including education surrounding lifestyle & diet, nutritional supplements, herbs, and acupuncture to gently guide the body back to ideal health.